"Possessing the ability of high level abstract thought
along with the ability to put such ideas into action"

Urban Dictionary

Tuesday

Floating

I haven't opened my eyes in a long time because what's the point? It all looks the same no matter what I do, black and bleak. There is of course some sort of moon thing nearby which my friend told me was like having my own personal torch, but, I don't know what that is. The last semi interesting thing I saw was a boring old rock floating by and it didn't even have anything on it that I could talk to. It had appeared suddenly from the darkness and being the only thing in sight, I watched it for a long time as it came towards me, excited about all its possibilities. It was bigger that I thought but not too big. When it finally got close enough I realised, it was just a rock and I was sad. Lifeless and pointless. Just to give myself something to do I touched it and even that was nothing to tell the others about. It was cold, too cold. I let go rather quickly and off it went. It was almost graceful, maybe even beautiful in its silent journey to nowhere. Still, it was only a rock.

How long have I even been out here?

I should probably open my eyes, even though it might not be worth it at least I can look at the moon thing. It will tell me how far I've floated.

One eye.

Black.

Second eye.

Bla,,no wait! What is that?

There's something over there. I can't see, my eyes are all foggy. Maybe if I close them and open them really fast it will help.

No, that didn't help.

Oh! My eyes aren't foggy at all. Silly me. It's some sort of gas formation. I must get out of this, it might be dangerous. I wonder what that object is? Maybe it's something I can talk to or maybe, maybe it's just another rock. I hope it's not.

That's better.

Wow, it's moving fast. It's moving really fast. HEY! HELLO!!! HELLO? Why can't they see me? Don't they want to talk to me? I'm not that bad. My friends tell me I'm a nice person and my family told me I must be nice to everyone I meet and they'll be nice back. I haven't met anyone nice yet. Actually, I haven't met anyone so maybe when I do, my mother will be right and they will be really nice. I've only met a rock and it didn't have much to say.

HELLO! I'M HERE! Yes, look they are coming. They've seen me. But oh no, do I look okay? I might look messy and then they won't want to talk to me. I'll straighten my clothes and pull in my travel ball, tie it tighter around my body.

Here they come.

Wow, it's a spaceship. It's so beautiful and colourful. My spaceship at home is silver but this is green, strange colour but beautiful. Not like that boring old rock. I can see people inside. Hello? Why won't they talk to me? All I want is to be nice to you and I'm sure you'll be nice to me, my mother said so. Wow that's a really bright light. Maybe it will carry people out of the ship and then they can float over and talk to me. My friend saw a light like this once and it carried him on to the ship. Maybe that's what they're going to do. It's getting closer. I'm so excited. I'm going to make new friends.

OUCH! THAT HURT!

Why did you do that? Wait. WAIT! Why are you talking my ball? Why is your light taking my ball away? I need it. It has all my things inside. Please don't take my ball. Why are you flying away? 


The spaceship is gone and they took my ball. That's not nice. That's really horrible. My mother lied to me because they were not nice even though I was nice to them. What will I do? I shouldn't cry, but I can't help it. I'm all alone and they took my ball.

*****

I've met too many rocks. They never told me I'd meet so many. I like that I have seen lots of new things now. So many pretty colours and I don't feel the need to keep my eyes closed. I came across a large shower of pretty ice rocks but these weren't boring. Not at all. There was multicoloured gas all around too and when I touched it, I bounced. So, I played for a long long time. The pretty rock shower began to move away and I thought about following, but, I let it go. I can still see it but it's very very far away. I saw another spaceship but I was scared. I didn't want to talk to them in case they hurt me but, I don't have a ball any more so they wouldn't want to talk to me anyway. 

I wonder how long I have been gone? My mother said it would be a long long time until I got there. How long?

*****

I SEE IT! I SEE IT! I SEE IT!

I've been floating for so long and now I see it. They told me it would just appear one day and there, it did. It just appeared. It's so beautiful. It's so colourful. I shouldn't cry but, I can't help it.

*****

I've almost forgotten about the boring rock and the spaceship. For so long I have been in this place. There are colours everywhere and so many big worlds. If I wanted to, I could meet every single one of them. It would take me a very very long time but I could. There are lots of rocks but these are like the multicoloured gas ones. They are pretty and fly around in all directions. There are so many twinkly bright lights and it makes me so happy. I have touched so many things and they all feel different. In here I can fly. No more floating. I can fly faster and faster towards my destination. Home seems a long way away and I really wish I had my ball but, I'm ready.

*****

They told me this might hurt so I'm scared. It's so bright that I have to close my eyes. The big yellow world is too bright. I open them sometimes because it's so beautiful but it hurts. My father told me water here is blue. Different to our water which is red. He was right, there is lots of blue. Lots and lots of blue. There is also green and brown. I think the brown is rock which makes me sad for a moment but then there is more blue and green than brown. 

For some time I have felt like I'm being pulled. They told me this would happen. This is how I get there. I'm very close because just like they said, my body is getting hot. 

I open my eyes. 

What's that? It's big and coming closer to me. Is it a spaceship? I hope not, I don't like spaceships any more. Oh no, it's coming and very fast. It might hit me but I can't move. I'm frightened. What is that sound? It that coming from the spaceship? It has a window. Someone is looking out. Wait, I'm moving faster. It might miss me. I hope so. I've floated a long way and I'm nearly there. I'm going, this is it. I'm on my way. It's hot and it hurts. 

I'm going to close my eyes. It's so hot. It's too hot. It's so so loud and I'm moving faster than I've ever moved. I feel like I'm falling and falling. I want to open my eyes but I'm so frightened. I know I shouldn't cry, but I can't help it.

*****

They told me when the heat and sound go away I should press the button on my ball, but, I don't have my ball. They told me I have a second button to press if I need it. Lucky. I should press it because I'm not hot any more and it's quiet. I'm going to keep my eyes closed because maybe it's still bright. I'm still falling but when I push the button I slow down. I'm slowly falling and falling and falling. I should open my eyes but, I'm scared. I'll wait until......  OUCH!

I'm not falling any more. I'm on something hard and I hurt from falling. I need to open my eyes.

One eye.

Blue.

Second eye. 

Green.

My eyes hurt because it's bright but not too bright. It smells different. It smells nice. The colours are beautiful and the smells and the green seem to go together. I hear something. What is it? It is a voice? I think it's an animal. I hope it's not a monster but if it is I'll be nice to it. I don't think it's a monster. I can hear sounds that I know. I think it's person. A person that we learn from. I'm happy and excited. I can see blue and white up above and green ahead. I look down and it's brown. What is this? It's hard. It's a rock! I hate brown rocks!

The voice is getting louder. This is happening fast. I was told to do something before I met a person. What was I to do? OH! I need to push the button again. I need to be different and then if I'm nice to them, they will be nice to me. Okay. This feels strange. My body is tingling and it makes me feel cold. It hurts a little but not as much as falling from the sky. Okay, I think it's done? Do I look different? Yes, I look very different. I'm so excited. No more rocks. No more floating. I'm here to be nice and to learn. The voice is getting very close. I need to be silent now. Silent but listening. Finally.

"Hey mum. MUM! Look over here. Look!"

"What?"

"It's....it's a lost puppy!!"

"A what?"

"A puppy. It's all alone on this rock. It's so cute and it's nice, look it's licking my hand"

"I see it, but, we can't take it home. What is it doing all the way out here in the desert?"

"I don't know? It's lost and just sitting in this rock"

"Well, maybe someone own it?"

"Who?"

"I don't know? How did it get out here? Well, it is sweet and yes, it is very nice. Well. Okay, let's see if it has an owner and if not, maybe you can keep it. Maybe."

"YES!!!"



My mother was right! 


No comments:

Post a Comment