"Possessing the ability of high level abstract thought
along with the ability to put such ideas into action"

Urban Dictionary

Monday

Finding my grandfather, a personal story

A couple of years ago I decided to dig in to the past and find out about my family. As I have no blood aunts or uncles, there for no cousins, and a generally small family I wanted to learn more about the generations before. It was for my own curiosity but also to pass along to my brother and his children. 

I've always felt a little different than my family, not in a bad way, but I just always wanted to know where I got my talents. I found out much more than I expected and dug my way through record after record until I hit the 1200's.

It's amazing the things you can find out but there was one thing that shocked me. I had never even given a thought to my grandfather. Who was he? Where did he die? This is my father's father and my brother was named after him but I never bothered to ask why he wasn't around. It's always seems more magical to dig hundreds of years in to the past than it is to look just a couple of generation back. So, when I began asking questions I was shocked to find out he died in Malaya in Kuala Lumpur in 1951. Almost one year after my father was born in Scotland. When I found this information out, I told myself that one day I'd find his grave and pay my respects to a grandfather I never knew. Today I went to Cheras Road Civil Cemetery in Kuala Lumpur and I finally, finally paid my respects.

Sergeant Donald McGregor Macmillan, Scots Guard, died 1951


(Wikipedia)

The Scots Guards are a regiment of the British Army. The regiment cherishes its traditions, especially on the parade ground where the scarlet uniform and bearskin have become synonymous with the regiment and the other Guards regiments. The regiment takes part in numerous events, most notably the Beating Retreat, Changing of the Guard, Queen's Birthday Parade, Remembrance Sunday and State Visits. 

During WWII Both battalions fought all over the world but were back in the UK by 1946, having returned from Germany and Trieste respectively. In 1948, the 1st Battalion assumed the role of Guards Training Battalion, a role that lasted until 1951.

The 2nd Battalion was sadly once more involved in war, however, when it deployed to Malaya during the native insurgency there as part of the 2nd Guards Brigade. The State of Emergency in Malaya had been declared in June after increased violence and terrorist acts against British, Asian and other citizens.

During its time in Malaya, the 2nd Battalion performed a variety of duties, including, in their involvement in the Emergency, guarding duties due to the Malayan Police's manpower problems, but also performed more aggressive tasks, such as patrolling into the dense jungle or hunting for CT. 

The patrols were difficult for the Commonwealth forces, who did not know where the CT lurked, and who had to contend with all the many aspects of the jungle, such as the diverse animals and sounds that make the jungle their home (especially leeches), and the claustrophobia of such a place, with the soldiers having probably been accustomed to living in relatively wide-open cities. A very apparent danger was the deadly booby traps laid by the CT. Patrols at times, despite hard slogging in the energy-sapping jungle, gave very little to show for the hard-work, but when contact was made with the CT, it invariably ended in fierce, close-quarters combat, with much valour and professionalism often displayed by the battalion. 

In 1948, the Scots Guards were involved in the Batang Kali massacre. By the time the battalion departed Malaya in 1951 for home, it had lost thirteen officers and other ranks. The Emergency was declared over on 31 July 1960, the Communists had been defeated.

Sadly one of those officers was my grandfather who was killed by a sniper on 25th January 1951, only a short few months from possibly going home to continue his life as a husband, father and to become a future great grandfather. 

I may have never met him, I may have never known him but, I'm deeply proud of a man who paid so dearly to protect his country.

My grandfather, Sargent Donald McGregor Macmillan.








No comments:

Post a Comment