"Possessing the ability of high level abstract thought
along with the ability to put such ideas into action"

Urban Dictionary

Wednesday

For the mother, the sibling and the friends.


HOMESICK

adj. - Acutely longing for one's family or home.
 
adj. - som har hjemve

adj. - heimwehkrank 

adj. - qui a le mal du pays, qui s'ennuie de ses parents (un enfant)

adj. - 회향병의, 고향을 몹시 그리워 하는


In any language the meaning of being homesick is not an attractive one. To acutely long for family or home is a hard thing to admit because being independent is important, especially to those who have chosen to put themselves in a possible homesick scenario. Especially to me.

I never did understand how people could be homesick unless they were forced away from home. Having not set foot in my mother's house in 18 months, hugged my brother, played with my niece, laughed with my friends or simply woken up to a comforting familiar British brisk morning, I'm beginning to understand. It's a feeling I'm not particularly comfortable with as it puts an odd amount of pressure on current circumstances. Every great day is slightly tainted with the thoughts of my niece drawing me pictures. Every cheap foreign meal is less welcome than the thoughts of eating with my family. All the beautiful pictures taken are not going to be as valuable as those I could take of my nephew whom I've never met.

Homesickness is not a familiar feeling and it's not a welcome feeling. I'm not acutely longing but I'm longing all the same and each day I think that I'm that much closer to having a cup of tea with my mum, playing with my niece and nephew, hugging my brother and sis-in-law and laughing once more with my friends.

92 days and counting.









No comments:

Post a Comment